The Grit Box workout is more than just punching and kicking—and it was designed that way for a reason. The combination of high-intensity kickboxing and strength training creates the perfect full-body workout.
45 minutes. 8 rounds. When the music starts and the lights go out, it’s time to get gritty!
The high-energy class is structured around three different stations – the kickboxing bag, the wall, and the strong bench. There’s a little bit of everything to get the body moving.
- The Kickboxing Bag – get your heart pumping while you burn fat and tone your muscles
- The Wall – utilize TRX suspension cables and weights to improve your strength, stability, and coordination
- The Strong Bench – use free weights to focus on muscle isolation and toning
Grit Box’s interval style of training pushes your body through different intensity levels, which allows you to continue challenging yourself, regardless of your fitness level.
Here’s a glimpse of what your Grit Box experience might look like:
- 1 & 2 – High-Intensity Kickboxing
- 3 & 4 – The Wall
- 5 & 6 – High-Intensity Kickboxing
- 7 & 8 – The Strong Bench
Each round is 3 minutes long, with 60-90 seconds of recovery time at the end of the round. This training style allows all fitness levels to get in a great workout and have fun while doing it.
Trust us, you’ll be anything but bored at Grit Box. Customized playlists and dynamic lights are synced with each round of class to transform the studio. Imagine the strobe light hitting right as the beat drops, leaving you with all the motivation you need to finish off the round.
It’s easy to see why Grit Box was named the Best Exercise Studio in Charleston.
Benefits of the Grit Box Workout
Rotating between high-intensity kickboxing and strength training exercises has its perks. For starters, you’ll burn an average of 500-600 calories during the 45-minute class. But the calorie burn doesn’t stop when the workout ends.
The Afterburn Effect
High-intensity interval training is known to elevate the afterburn effect—which is scientifically known as excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC). The afterburn effect is the amount of oxygen your body requires to recover from working out.
Basically, your body continues to burn calories as it recovers from the workout. The harder you work during class, the harder your body has to work to recover from the workout.
But it’s not just about burning calories and losing weight. The benefits of kickboxing and strength training go beyond your physical health and can have a positive impact on your mental health.
5 Additional Benefits:
- Boost endurance and stamina – Kickboxing will make your heart and lungs stronger, improving your cardiovascular fitness level. By boosting your overall endurance, you’re also setting yourself up for some major health benefits like reducing your risk of heart disease and high blood pressure.
- Improve balance and coordination – The kickboxing bag and the wall will test your coordination skills. From punching combos to tricep extensions, these movements are designed to improve your balance, coordination, and mobility.
- Build and define muscles – ALL of the muscles. You’ll light up your entire body during the 8 rounds of class. Upper body, lower body, core… muscles you didn’t even know you had.
- Train your brain – Did we mention that your brain is also getting a workout? Kickboxing makes your brain think and react faster, sharpening your reflexes. We teamed up with Rock Steady Boxing to become an affiliate program for those fighting Parkinson’s disease because of the positive impact that boxing exercises have on brain health.
- Reduce anxiety and stress – Having a bad day? Take it out on the bag — kickboxing is a great way to relieve stress. Hello, endorphins! The release of serotonin and dopamine will leave you feeling happier and relaxed.
What more could you want from a 45-minute workout? The long list of benefits is why kickboxing is truly for everyone. Ready to get gritty? Sign up for our free trial and take a class!